Gear up for the SharePoint 2010 now. You might want to check the following and take advantage of the forth coming SharePoint 2010 Services.
- Plan for 32bit to 64bit upgrade. SP 2010 has 64bit flavor only.
- SP 2010 needs SQL 2K8 or SQL 2K5 running on 64 bit. Which means, you might want to considering upgrading your SQL box too.
- SP 2010 will need Windows 2008 Server or above to run.
- Make sure your development environment is also upgraded to 64bit.
- If you are planning to upgrade from MOSS 2007 or WSS 3.0, first deploy your existing environment with SP2 and then upgrade to SP 2010.
- Run the Upgrade Checker Tool that’s included in SP2 which might bring upfront notice of possible issues during or upon upgrade.
- Consider migrating to Visual Studio 2010 (pretty good migration and new tools available)
- Watch for deprecated API’s
- New deployment and packaging available with VS 2010 coming along.
- Learn LINQ, entity models and Silverlight since these are supported in SP 2010.
- IE > 6.0 is a mandate, which means you cannot use IE 6.0.
- Fire Fox 3.x is supported.